Currently, tuition is fully covered for all supported graduate students. Supported students who have earned fewer than 18 hours of approved graduate credit in mathematics are paid a stipend of \$17,478 per year. Graduate students with 18 or more hours are paid \$18,254.80 per year (some graduate school restrictions apply). PhD candidates who have completed all degree requirements except the dissertation are paid \$20,194 per year. Instructional duties normally consist of some combination of teaching, grading, and tutoring in the Math Lab.
For the 2021 - 2022 academic year, the United HealthCare annual insurance rate for individual students is $3112.
Department policy for outside employment of supported graduate students:
1. Any outside employment is discouraged for supported students.
2. Outside employment of supported students is allowed only under the following conditions:
- The employment does not exceed 10 hours per week.
- The employment does not occur during regular business hours (M-F 8:00 am to 5:00 pm).
- The employment does not interfere with the student's graduate student duties.
- The student seeks prior approval from the graduate advisor.
3. Outside employment during summer is admissible, except when the student is supported financially by the department.
4. Outside employment violating the above guidelines may lead to a termination of the support from the department.
5. Additional rules apply to international students. For example, all F1 and J1 international students must speak with the International Student and Scholar Services Office (https://international.unt.edu/content/international-student-scholar-services) prior to accepting any off-campus work opportunities.