Welcome to the Math Lab!
Location: Sage Hall, Room 130
The Math Lab is a free walk-in tutoring lab that serves students enrolled in undergraduate math courses at UNT. The Math Lab is funded by student fees from students enrolled in these classes. The Math Lab is staffed by mathematics graduate students and undergraduate students with a passion for math. Help with algebra (UGMT 1200, MATH 340 and 1100), pre-calculus (MATH 1650), and calculus (MATH 1710/20) is available anytime we are open. For all other courses, please check the schedule below to see when someone will be available to help you.
Fall 2019 Hours:
September 3rd - December 5th
Monday - Thursday: 9:00am - 7:00pm
Labor Day: September 2, 2019
Thanksgiving Break: November 28-29, 2019
The Math Lab is closed on Saturdays and Sundays, all official UNT holidays, and during Finals week in the long semesters.
What to expect during your tutoring session:
The purpose of tutoring is to teach students how to become better active and independent learners. The goal is to improve your understanding of the course material, help you focus on the course content that is most important, and to answer specific questions you have about any processes/concepts. As a student in the Math Lab, you will be expected to:
- Check in with the Office Assistant at the front desk.
- Be courteous to those around you.
- Turn cell phones to silent.
Math Lab tutors can:
- Help you understand concepts learned in class.
- Answer specific questions.
- Help you get started on a problem.
- Check that you are approaching a problem correctly.
- Provide additional examples and practice problems.
- Encourage you through the process as you tackle your homework.
*Please note: Math Lab tutors will not work on homework or assignment problems for you, check assignment answers, assist with take-home quizzes or essays, or repeat class lectures.
Tips for getting the most out of your session:
- Come with specific questions or topics.
- Come in more than 48 hours before your test. Exam weeks are more busy than usual, so plan accordingly.
- Come in on a regular basis. You will make better progress!
- Attend class. Remember, the Math Lab serves as a supplemental learning resource, not the main one.
Student Employment Documents
Fall 2019 Submission Deadline: Thursday, August 1, 2019
***You must apply through Handshake BEFORE submitting this application. Any applications turned in before applying through Handshake WILL NOT be considered.
The Learning Center reserves the right to limit the amount of time they employ students that are enrolled in their student teaching/apprentice teaching semester.
MathLab Contact Information
Maegan Garcia - Math Lab Coordinator
The Learning Center, Sage Hall 170